Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Blessings and Thoughts

The last couple of days I have been feeling really down. I have said before that I feel like I got jipped on the last weeks of my pregnancy. However, I have been doing a lot of reflecting on that and I have come to a conclusion. I should really stop looking at it that way because I think we got really lucky. I made it to 28 weeks in my pregnancy without any real problems or issues. I carried this baby inside of me up until almost 35 weeks. Some people don't get to do that, some people are not that lucky. I was also able to get the steroid shot to help her lungs as soon as I was admitted to the hospital. Some people do not have that option. There are so many things I need to count as blessings rather than feel down about them.

Even though she was born small she came out fighting. We were able to make it to a point in the pregnancy where she had a really good chance. She was only in the NICU for 16 days. That is such a short stay compared to what some babies and their parents have to go through. She never needed extra oxygen. She was hooked up to an IV at the beginning because of the magnesium we were both on. She had a feeding tube but that was her only real issue. Some babies are in there for so much longer and have so many obstacles. I keep those babies and their parents in my prayers daily. I had no clue what the NICU was all about until I was there with a front row seat.

Another thing I have been thinking about is pre-eclampsia. It amazes me how many pregnant people have never heard of it. Well to be honest I did not pay much attention to it until after it happened to me. I was basically told what I have was PIH, pregnancy induced hypertention, the whole time. They made it seem like pre-e was the worse case senario and it would not happen. I think their needs to be more education about pre-e and how fast it can come on...

Mine started with swelling in one foot and then moved to edema in both legs.

Then my blood pressure started to rise.

Soon the headaches began

and boom I started seeing spots, little shooting star type spots

I went into the hospital and ended up with a c-section...

1 comment:

  1. You are so optimistic! I am totally with you on feeing gypped of the last few weeks of my pregnancy, and my birth experience as well, since I couldn't hold him for a couple days. It is a feeling that unfortunately won't go away for a while, as I still feel it often. I do believe the birth experience/NICU contributed to my PPD, so let Dan know to tell you if he thinks you're acting differently, etc. Big hugs, I know it's not easy. :(

    ReplyDelete

fall

Followers