Thursday, March 18, 2010

Becoming Mom

On March 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm my beautiful baby girl was born by c-section. C-section was my last choice as far as the way I wanted to bring her into this world. However, my body decided to have a different plan.

March 6, 2010 I was seen in labor and delivery triage and then sent home. I was having headaches and my BP was high.

March 7, 2010 I was seen again and then admitted to the hospital for observation.

March 8, 9, 10, 2010 I was put on hospital bed rest in the high risk unit.

March 11 and 12, 2010 My BP went up very high and I was given an IV with magnesium. This was to avoid seizure or stroke. I was told that I officially had pre-e and was unable to leave my bed. I was having chest pains and they decided to induce me. After one round of pitocin, 4 rounds of meds to soften my cervix, and another round of pitocin (all pain med free) I decided to have a c-section. My body was not cooperating and did not dilate at all. My baby was fine and they said I could make the choice if I wanted to deliver her or wait. I was very weak and losing my mind so I decided to go ahead and have her.

I made a choice and my baby was born just under 34 weeks gestation. I still feel a little guilty but my body was failing me and there was not much I could do.

Camryn Elizabeth was born weighing 3 pounds and 13 ounces. She was 17 inches long and cried on her way out. It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. Due to the magnesium I was very out of it during the surgery. It was hard to keep my eyes open but I tried my best and my sweet girl was born.

Camryn has been in the NICU since then. She is doing well.She was hooked on the magnesium at the beginning just like me so she could not eat and was very sleepy for a few days.

She has an IV and a feeding tube but that is it. She is doing really well and they may take out her IV today. She may also get to move her to an open crib soon. She needs to be able to eat without a problem and maintain her body temperature in the outside crib.

We go back to the NICU twice a day where I get to feed her. She needs lots of help with this and sometimes gets lazy. It has been really hard to leave here but I know she is in good hands.

I don't feel like a mom yet. I did not get to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy and I miss my baby belly. However, I know it will all come soon and everything will be ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment

fall

Followers